The resources below include links to websites relating to medicine in austere and extreme environments and the diverse fields of endeavour that this covers. We are happy to receive contributions, and to add additional categories of resources. Please contact us to contribute.
For current news items, please press the button below.
Aerospace Medicine Organisations
- The Australasian Society of Aerospace Medicine: ASAM offers TWO annual student scholarships: https://www.asam.org.au/asam-awards-prizes-grants.
- Aeromedical Society of Australasia
- ASA offers a very generous professional development scholarship available annually: https://www.aeromedsocaustralasia.org/News/Scholarship.aspx.
- Aerospace Medical Association
- AsMA and its constituent organisations offer a number of scholarships, especially for students and residents: https://www.asma.org/about-asma/careers/scholarships.
- AsMA Aerospace Human Factors Association
- AsMA Aerospace Physiology Society
- AsMA Space Medicine Association
- Aviation/Aerospace Australia: www.aviationaerospace.org.au. A/AA has a special interest group for women in aerospace and the NextGenNetwork, and offers regular webinars and seminars. At present these are being offered free due to the pandemic. Check the website for upcoming events and for membership information.
Space Medicine and Space Health
- Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Center for Space Medicine and Translational Research Institute (TRISH)
- Human Spaceflight Special Interest Group – Johns Hopkins CGPO
- NASA Human Research Roadmap
- The Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC) Space Medicine and Life Sciences Project Group (also see the January 2021 Newsletter for further information).
- University of Colorado Space and Extreme Environment Medicine
- Womxn in Aerospace Medicine – a community for female-identifying aerospace medicine practitioners, researchers, and their allies.
Disaster and Emergency Medicine Organisations
- WADEM (World Association for Disaster and Emergency Medicine)
- WADEM has a number of geographically-based Chapters and several Special Interest Groups, including one for students.
- WADEM also offers some scholarships for students to attend its biennial conference.
Aero/Space Industry Associations
- Australian Space Agency https://www.industry.gov.au/strategies-for-the-future/australian-space-agency
- Australian Youth Aerospace Association
- Aviation/Aerospace Australia
- The International Astronautical Federation
- The IAF Digital Library: (access fees apply unless part of a member organisation).
- IAF Young Professionals Newsletter – December 2020
- International Space University
- Mars Society Australia (also see our blog posting)
- Moon Village Association
- National Space Society of Australia Ltd
- Space Association of Australia
- Space Industry Association of Australia
United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA)
- Space4Health initiative (includes links to May 2020 webinars)
- Access to Space for All Initiative (includes links to apply for research participation opportunities)
Wilderness and Expedition Medicine Organisations
- Australian Ski Patrol Association
- AWEMS (Australasian Society for Disaster and Emergency Medicine)
- International Society for Skiing Safety
- International Society for Mountain Medicine
- WMS (Wilderness Medical Society)
- WMSS (Wilderness Medicine Students Society) at the University of Melbourne
“If you give a hungry man a fish, you feed him for a day, but if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”
~ The Starry Night: Vincent van Gogh (Dutch, 1853–1890) 1889. Oil on canvas, 29 x 36 1/4″ (73.7 x 92.1 cm) Museum of Modern Art, New York. https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/vincent-van-gogh-the-starry-night-1889/.
~ Chinese fish mosaic attributed to GLady/Pixabay: https://www.thoughtco.com/chinese-character-for-fish-yu-2278332.
_ Lao Tzu quote: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/08/28/fish/#note-11878-15.